Looking to take a vacation soon but can't fathom the idea of leaving your beloved pet behind? Don't worry - we got you covered. Traveling with pets may seem like it can't be done but we are here to tell you that with proper planning, helpful tips & tricks, and lots of preparation, you can bring your furry family members along for the fun!
Looking for some outdoor experiences to share with your travel pup? Check out pet-friendly campsites, glamping options, and more with hipcamp.com! Find spots near you, or further away, and search from beach camping options, mountain camping options, or desert getaways.
Sometimes "getting away" does not require traveling far. There are plenty of pet-friendly hotel options right in your vicinity. One of our favorite tools for traveling with pets is BringFido.com you can find local pet-friendly restaurants, shopping, hotels, and fun experiences that are all dog-friendly. You can even read reviews from other pet owners who have traveled with their pups and learn some insider experience before booking your final destination!
If you are opting for a full home rather than a hotel, we totally understand. Sometimes you just want your own privacy and ample space to play with your kiddos and furry friends! If this sounds like you, then we recommend checking out AirBnB for pet-friendly spaces available all across the country.
Need some pet-friendly destination ideas? Check out some of our favorites below!
- San Diego, California
- Flagstaff, Arizona
- Bar Harbor, Maine
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- Palm Springs, California
- Austin, Texas
- Wilmington, North Carolina
- Key West, Florida
- Huntington Beach, California
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Seattle, Washington
- Portland, Oregon
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Washington D.C.
Whether you are driving to your final destination or simply bringing the dog on a camping trip this Summer, here's what to pack to ensure a pleasant experience and ensure you have all that your pet will need while you're away.
- Pack the Snacks - Include a variety of their favorite treats, bones, biscuits, and chews to keep them entertained (and satisfied) on long drives, or if you have to leave them alone for an hour while you go grab dinner.
- Food & Water Supply - Have more than enough pet food on hand in case you end up staying longer than you originally anticipated. If you'll be gone for 4 days, be sure to pack 7 days worth of food just in case. Also, bring along their food & water bowls.
- Cozy Blanket - Keep them comfortable and cozy...Dogs like to sleep in on vacation, too.
- Favorite Toy(s) - They will want to play and it could happen anywhere, anytime.
- ID Tags - This one is an obvious one, but be sure that their ID tags are up to date especially during travel.
- Important Paperwork - Vaccination Records & Proof of Ownership is always a good idea to bring along copies of and have them laminated to avoid them getting wet or ruined. You never know who will need to see them should problems arise...and it's always better to be prepared.
- Pet Medication - Does your pet require special medication? Pack a supply along with written instructions.
- Leash & Poop Bags - C'mon - Everyone expects common decency everywhere you travel!