Your dog will LOVE these Patriotic Pupsicles, and so will you because they only require a few ingredients! These pops are such a fun dog treat, and the ingredients are very good for your pooch. The yogurt can act like a probiotic, so it’s great for your dog’s digestive system. The berries are full of antioxidants, high fiber and Vitamin C. And - did you know strawberries are a natural way to whiten your dog's teeth? It's true! Check out the dog-friendly recipe below.
HOW TO MAKE: PATRIOTIC PUPSICLES
- Whole fresh blueberries
- Diced fresh strawberries
- Plain yogurt (free of any added sweeteners, both natural and artificial)
- Rawhide sticks (or you can use a non-rawhide alternative)
- 7 ounce plastic cups
- Place a heaping tablespoon of yogurt in the bottom of the cups.
- Add just enough diced strawberries to cover the yogurt.
- Cover the the strawberries with a heaping tablespoon of yogurt.
- Add just enough blueberries to cover the yogurt.
- Cover the blueberries with a heaping tablespoon of yogurt.
- Repeat steps 1-5.
- Add a few more strawberries and blueberries to the final layer of yogurt.
- Place a rawhide stick in the center of each cup.
- Freeze the cups for at least 4 hours.
- Run warm water around the outside of the cups to help loosen the pupsicles; they should come out easily.
- Enjoy! Serve to your pup under close supervision. They’ll love it if you hold it for them to lick!
PUP POP TIPS
- You can use either regular or greek plain yogurt for these pops. Just make sure the yogurt you use is free of any added sweeteners (artificial or natural).
- If you have a smaller dog, make smaller pops by not repeating a second layer of ingredients.
- Yogurt is good for dogs, but when given in excess, can lead to weight gain (like anything else).
- The easiest way for your dog to eat the Patriotic Pupsicle is if you hold it for them!
- If your dog is lactose intolerant, you can substitute Greek yogurt; however, it has less lactose than regular plain yogurt so if you just want to play it on the safe side, go with the Greek yogurt option.